News, Links, and Other Views
- Bikes and Beer is only 5 days away! Proceeds benefit BikeSD’s work. So if you want protected bike lanes, great friends, support our local craft beer industry and want to be associated with a great organization – this is the event you want to sign up for.
- Deco Bike Share is scheduled to roll into Pacific Beach by this summer.
- Concerns over completing the Bayshore Bikeway will be worked out.
- A pickup driver hit a cyclist in Teralta West. The driver hasn’t been charged.
- Mission Beach residents sound an alarm about wanting bicycle riders to slow down on the Mission Beach bike path yet remain curiously silent about vehicles driving at over 30 mph on the adjacent Mission Beach Boulevard.
- The San Diego Free Press covers the Uptown battle for safer streets.
- San Diego’s newest bike shop, Hub & Spoke Cycleworks, supports a safer University Avenue
- The San Diego Veloswap Meet is less than a month away
- A hit and run driver killed a pedestrian and torched their car. The driver continues to remain at large.
- Uptown business owners have hired a lobbyist to inexplicably fight the Uptown bike corridor. If this is what the Hillcrest Business Association consider a wise business investment – fighting two wheeled travellers – it explains why Uptown businesses continue to suffer.
- Paul Jamason writes about the powerful people in Hillcrest refusing to make Uptown’s streets safe.
- San Diego YIMBY dares to dream.
- On Strava? Why not join the Bike SD club and track your rides?
- From our friends at SD Bike Commuter, the newest businesses that offer a 10% discount to anyone who rides to the business include:
San Diego County
- A great writeup about living the good life in Coronado (with a bike, obviously)
- Encinitas moves to make biking to school safer after parental outrage.
- SANDAG has launched another PR effort to promote biking.
- A bicycle thief is an indicator species for other forms of theft, as evidenced in Carlsbad.
- “Thirty percent of all trips in California are less than a mile” – perfect bicycling (and walking) distance.
- The Complete Business Case for Converting Street Parking Into Bike Lanes
- Building a strong, inclusive community for safe streets is the future of bike advocacy
- Why do we bike? Because it makes us happy.
- The former Governor Schwarzenegger was stopped by the Australian police for riding a bike share bike without a helmet
- Houston, Texas has a protected bike lane.
- New research from People for Bikes shows that 1/3 Americans want to bike more but are dissatisfied with existing bike infrastructure
- Out-of-touch engineering establishment continues to resist promoting people-friendly road designs.
- Jeff Miller, one of BikeSD’s strongest supporters and mentors, was awarded the Susie Stephens Joyful Enthusiasm Award. A well deserved honor.
- Three Women who Changed the Course of History On Bicycles
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker has decided that bicycle riders and the minuscule funding they receive are a grave threat to his fiscal plans.
- A Toronto suburban family realized that the mother’s salary was consumed by the costs of car ownership and day care. They sold both cars three years ago, and now she stays home and the family of five bikes and uses transit.
- Portland has a new car-free bridge.