Blog

San Diego’s deadly streets claim another life: a Bulgarian visitor riding a bicycle on Ingraham Street

i Sep 2nd 8 Comments by

According to Channel 6, a 21 year old Bulgarian woman, Stela Hristova, visiting our fine city succumbed to injuries received from a car/bike collision while riding on Ingraham Street. As reported yesterday by Ted Rogers,

The victim was riding south in a traffic lane on the 2500 block of Ingraham Street on Vacation Island in San Diego’s Mission Bay Park at 3:30 am when she was hit by a sedan. The driver reportedly swerved into the left lane when he saw her, but wasn’t able to avoid hitting her bike.

The city’s 2002 Bike Plan called for bike lanes on Ingraham Street. Eleven years later, the street has no bicycle facilities of any sort and cyclists are left to take their own life into their hands.

Update: This is what the area where Hristova was killed looks like

Screenshot via Michael Sullivan


Our most sincere condolences to Hristova’s family and friends. We’re sorry that our lack of bicycle facilities took away the life of a young woman.

Share on Facebook0Email this to someoneShare on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Tweet about this on Twitter

Comments

  • MoeGreen

    I don’t think that painting in a bicycle lane would have made much difference. There is ample room to ride a bike without being in the flow of traffic. Ingraham is a large street wide road. The speed limit is 45 and traffic often flows at a rate higher than that. Not many people would expect a bike in the traffic lane at 3:30 am. Unless the driver was drunk, they should deserve some sympathy don’t you think?

    • Erik

      I don’t think the point is to remove sympathy from the driver. What you said is mostly correct: Few would expect to see a bike in the middle of the night. A bike lane would change this, however. It would set a guide for parts of the road a car should not drive in, and help keep bikes in a region where drivers will expect to see them.

      • Brian

        That section of road involves traffic merging across lanes at high speed. A well designed bike lane might make it safer, a poorly designed bike lane like many in SD could make it worse. Either way its incredibly irresponsible and insensitive to speculate on the cause of this tragedy at this time, and downright callous to use that speculation to advance an agenda.

    • Brice

      Sympathy for the driver? HELL NO!! The driver is home with their family and loved one. This girl was riding a bicycle legally in the street, struck by a car, and killed. When you drive a car you take responsibility to share that road with other street users – regardless of the time of day. Traffic flowing at a higher rate of speed than the speed limit is no damn excuse.

    • John Wright

      Just how is a cyclist supposed to get past that double whammy of two free right turns without “being in the flow of traffic”?

  • batvette

    I’d be curious to know how the rider was dressed, in light or dark clothing? And did she have a tail light? and where in the street was she riding? before I pass judgement on the auto driver.
    As a bicyclist I think I can safely assert that as percentages go there are far more bonehead bicyclists than bonehead drivers, so I cannot immediately assume this person was in the proper position in the road and visible to the driver- and it’s just as likely they were drunk as it is the driver.

    • Michael Sullivan

      So you won’t pass judgement on the auto driver, but you will on the bicyclist?Consider this: Only 1% of San Diegans use a bicycle as their mode of transportation. I’m sure it is safe to say that there are less “boneheads” in that 1% then there are in the remaining 99% of the rest of San Diego! Even with those numbers, I will not pass judgement on the auto driver until more is known. Looking at where the accident took place, I think it safe to pass judgement on the road design itself. We should not be placing bicyclists in the middle of highspeed highway-style clover leaf intersections.

    • Scott Dion

      We would all like to know the details, the ones you are curious about smell like victim blaming. Do you have some ideas on how to better the shared use of the roadways?